Devon, yes, holding good thoughts for this crisis to resolve itself in the best way possible...
Dale, thank you so much for your astute elucidation of what is referred to when speaking of 'the ego' in different tradtions; I need to read your response a few more times and hope to continue this discussion.
But more now on my 'love life':
My Science Professor's young wife left him suddenly and unexpectedly after 9 'perfect years.' For another woman, an older lawyer. That was a year ago and he is still heartbroken, and doesn't feel he will ever truly love again. I draw very wounded men into my life, a lifelong pattern. It's the care of the soul, compassion, wanting to make a difference in someone's life, not leaving a someone lying on the battlefield of love when you know you can help.
But I am seeking a loving central relationship. Should I continue what is essentially a sexual relationship with a kind womanly ear for his pain, or let him find other women to heal him- he is an attractive man and tells his story to everyone who will listen and he will find sympathetic women to help him.
Everyone has their 'Beatrice' to some extent, even I. I have no problem with multiple loves... I'm not a jealous type, though I am possessive in the sense of caring deeply about those I love. And I do believe that the more we love the more whole we are. So I respect his continuing to love his young wife and see it as possibly enhancing his art -he's also a jazz pianist, was a professional musician before his love of science took over.
My intuition tells me to think of him as 'a fixture' in my life, that he's as he is, and not to worry or fret or even to think too much about him. Just love the guy.
Hi all--I've been sitting with everyone here for about the last month or so, since I got back from the Kalachakra in Amaravati to be exact. Finding this site has been very encouraging to me as I've been acclimating to my 6-times daily Guru Yoga sessions.
Lorianne inspired me to add bows to my morning session--prostrations, rather, since like Dale I practice in the Tibetan tradition. So thank you, Lorianne, because they've been a wonderful addition each morning to help set my motivation for the day. And with all this talk of ego, it's been particularly useful in helping me stay mindful of the boddhisattva path.
Dale, reading your post yesterday made me think so much of Salinger's _Franny and Zooey_. Partly because I'll be teaching it next week, but also because Franny's whole struggle centers around her desire to dissolve those boundaries of "ego" as separateness--the illusion of it, rather--yet not knowing how to actualize it. It's definitely something I find myself sitting with, knowing intellectually the reality of interconnectedness but seemingly forgetting it when I habitually get frustrated with causes, conditions, people, myself, etc.
Like some of you here, I'm also a meditative knitter! Sometimes I even do mani mantras with each stitch. My Lama loves it, hahaha.
Well I've sufficiently spoken up! I thank you all for being here.
All warm wishes from the heart of dixie in Birmingham, Alabama, Clare
i'm afraid it was a matter of a few minutes before j called me for the walk à deux which i always crave but rarely happens...i was sitting out in the vines while we were dithering about how the day would be organised - the daily painting, cleaning, shopping, running; meditating; cooking plus shopping for dinner with our dearest friends - so i took my moment: the moment when i would normally be 'in wait' for an hour, and i was in fact in wait for 5 minutes. very nice ones too!
6 Comments:
[[[Devon]]]. Holding a good thought for you.
Devon, yes, holding good thoughts for this crisis to resolve itself in the best way possible...
Dale, thank you so much for your astute elucidation of what is referred to when speaking of 'the ego' in different tradtions; I need to read your response a few more times and hope to continue this discussion.
But more now on my 'love life':
My Science Professor's young wife left him suddenly and unexpectedly after 9 'perfect years.' For another woman, an older lawyer. That was a year ago and he is still heartbroken, and doesn't feel he will ever truly love again. I draw very wounded men into my life, a lifelong pattern. It's the care of the soul, compassion, wanting to make a difference in someone's life, not leaving a someone lying on the battlefield of love when you know you can help.
But I am seeking a loving central relationship. Should I continue what is essentially a sexual relationship with a kind womanly ear for his pain, or let him find other women to heal him- he is an attractive man and tells his story to everyone who will listen and he will find sympathetic women to help him.
Everyone has their 'Beatrice' to some extent, even I. I have no problem with multiple loves... I'm not a jealous type, though I am possessive in the sense of caring deeply about those I love. And I do believe that the more we love the more whole we are. So I respect his continuing to love his young wife and see it as possibly enhancing his art -he's also a jazz pianist, was a professional musician before his love of science took over.
My intuition tells me to think of him as 'a fixture' in my life, that he's as he is, and not to worry or fret or even to think too much about him. Just love the guy.
Can it be that simple?
Hi all--I've been sitting with everyone here for about the last month or so, since I got back from the Kalachakra in Amaravati to be exact. Finding this site has been very encouraging to me as I've been acclimating to my 6-times daily Guru Yoga sessions.
Lorianne inspired me to add bows to my morning session--prostrations, rather, since like Dale I practice in the Tibetan tradition. So thank you, Lorianne, because they've been a wonderful addition each morning to help set my motivation for the day. And with all this talk of ego, it's been particularly useful in helping me stay mindful of the boddhisattva path.
Dale, reading your post yesterday made me think so much of Salinger's _Franny and Zooey_. Partly because I'll be teaching it next week, but also because Franny's whole struggle centers around her desire to dissolve those boundaries of "ego" as separateness--the illusion of it, rather--yet not knowing how to actualize it. It's definitely something I find myself sitting with, knowing intellectually the reality of interconnectedness but seemingly forgetting it when I habitually get frustrated with causes, conditions, people, myself, etc.
Like some of you here, I'm also a meditative knitter! Sometimes I even do mani mantras with each stitch. My Lama loves it, hahaha.
Well I've sufficiently spoken up! I thank you all for being here.
All warm wishes from the heart of dixie in Birmingham, Alabama,
Clare
Thinking of you, Devon.
Hey, Clare! I have to admit that guru yoga and Salinger are not my automatic associations with Birmingham :-)
But yes, Salinger was very clued into that "loneliness behind the eyelids," that sense of being stranded in oneself.
I'm so glad you spoke!
Brenda, you are joking, right? A simple erotic relationship?
i'm afraid it was a matter of a few minutes before j called me for the walk à deux which i always crave but rarely happens...i was sitting out in the vines while we were dithering about how the day would be organised - the daily painting, cleaning, shopping, running; meditating; cooking plus shopping for dinner with our dearest friends - so i took my moment: the moment when i would normally be 'in wait' for an hour, and i was in fact in wait for 5 minutes. very nice ones too!
Post a Comment
<< Home