For all the busy ones, a reminder of a nice story: http://tinyurl.com/lcggv
Well, my impeccable record in the current 100 days has completely gone to pot, with no meditation for the past 3 days - not so much too busy as too ill and disoriented; I cannot believe I got ill again, with some sort of nasty virus this time. Commitment to be repaired this evening, I hope.
There must be something in the water over here, because I've still got the problems I had yesterday and have been confined to home. I did manage to sit this morning though.
I'm finding doing the loving kindness meditation to be a very emotional experience. Is this normal?
Mary, emotional, definitely. I've seen tears (representing both ends of the emotional spectrum), joy, terror... if you're doing it wholeheartedly it's often a wild ride.
Hugs you two, Jean and Mary, holding wellness thoughts for you both, get better soon...
I, too, have had some amazing experiences with the loving-kindness meditation. It's breaking down walls in my heart so fast I barely have time to step over the rubble. Last week when things blew sky high with the Science Professor, out of the blue I called my Rabbi, who was most surprised, we haven't talked in 2 1/2 years, and with whom I had a beautiful conversation, and felt dearly loved; and then, on the weekend, on impulse I phoned my Cyber Lover and, again, a wonderful surprise and a most delightful conversation. The meditation is enabling me to move past my feelings of rejection to where meaning is, to these men that I love and who are significant in my life, and, as I have just understood, for whom I am also significant. Despite the distance, which was the major problem with each, I am loved. They are both, in different ways, very inspiring men for me. To have even only this momentary connection with each, though of course I hope these friendships continue, is worth everything.
I would understand this to be the healing of self-inflicted wounds. I was never not loved by either. It was more a matter of extenuating circumstances, and now I understand that and find I'm feeling my world is much more complete today, such happiness within.
This meditation is a great blessing and I hope others are finding it as remarkable...
Dale, Brenda: thank you, that's really helpful. I started crying the middle of the loving kindness meditation this morning, and I'm less alarmed now ...
Jean & Mary, I for one excuse you from any/all meditation commitments while you're sick. Simply lying abed (or dragging one's sickly self around) is mindfulness enough, I think...and there will be plenty of opportunity for repairing practice commitments *after* you've recovered!
And re. loving-kindness meditation, it's not something I have much experience with in my Zen tradition. But reading Brenda's comments over the past week, I think I'll echo that line from *When Harry Met Sally*: "I'll have what she's having!" ;-)
An article from Scientific American of possible interest ...deals with the Dalai Lama's lecture at a meeting in Washington, DC, of the Society for Neuroscience.
Jean and Mary, I hope you are feeling better soon!
And yes, I find loving kindness meditation can be quite powerful stuff...
8 Comments:
For all the busy ones, a reminder of a nice story: http://tinyurl.com/lcggv
Well, my impeccable record in the current 100 days has completely gone to pot, with no meditation for the past 3 days - not so much too busy as too ill and disoriented; I cannot believe I got ill again, with some sort of nasty virus this time. Commitment to be repaired this evening, I hope.
Oh Jean, so sorry to hear this! Please rest and feel better soon.
Happy Monday to all.
There must be something in the water over here, because I've still got the problems I had yesterday and have been confined to home. I did manage to sit this morning though.
I'm finding doing the loving kindness meditation to be a very emotional experience. Is this normal?
Hope everyone had a good weekend.
{{{Jean & Mary}}} Get well!
Mary, emotional, definitely. I've seen tears (representing both ends of the emotional spectrum), joy, terror... if you're doing it wholeheartedly it's often a wild ride.
Hugs you two, Jean and Mary, holding wellness thoughts for you both, get better soon...
I, too, have had some amazing experiences with the loving-kindness meditation. It's breaking down walls in my heart so fast I barely have time to step over the rubble. Last week when things blew sky high with the Science Professor, out of the blue I called my Rabbi, who was most surprised, we haven't talked in 2 1/2 years, and with whom I had a beautiful conversation, and felt dearly loved; and then, on the weekend, on impulse I phoned my Cyber Lover and, again, a wonderful surprise and a most delightful conversation. The meditation is enabling me to move past my feelings of rejection to where meaning is, to these men that I love and who are significant in my life, and, as I have just understood, for whom I am also significant. Despite the distance, which was the major problem with each, I am loved. They are both, in different ways, very inspiring men for me. To have even only this momentary connection with each, though of course I hope these friendships continue, is worth everything.
I would understand this to be the healing of self-inflicted wounds. I was never not loved by either. It was more a matter of extenuating circumstances, and now I understand that and find I'm feeling my world is much more complete today, such happiness within.
This meditation is a great blessing and I hope others are finding it as remarkable...
Dale, Brenda: thank you, that's really helpful. I started crying the middle of the loving kindness meditation this morning, and I'm less alarmed now ...
Jean & Mary, I for one excuse you from any/all meditation commitments while you're sick. Simply lying abed (or dragging one's sickly self around) is mindfulness enough, I think...and there will be plenty of opportunity for repairing practice commitments *after* you've recovered!
And re. loving-kindness meditation, it's not something I have much experience with in my Zen tradition. But reading Brenda's comments over the past week, I think I'll echo that line from *When Harry Met Sally*: "I'll have what she's having!" ;-)
An article from Scientific American of possible interest ...deals with the Dalai Lama's lecture at a meeting in Washington, DC, of the Society for Neuroscience.
Jean and Mary, I hope you are feeling better soon!
And yes, I find loving kindness meditation can be quite powerful stuff...
Post a Comment
<< Home