Mary - checked at your blog - I'm glad you're feeling a little better, and that you felt you could open up and write here. Coping with illness is really hard for me, because I tend to get scared and then beat myself up for not being strong enough not to be frightened of the unknown and the future, when actually it is a pretty natural reaction. And meditation does help with this; it just makes everything lighten up and seem less serious. You have a lot of empathy from me! And I'm feeling better today too.
I attempted to meditate late last night and was washed with waves of nausea, back pain, and a closetful of distressed thoughts all tumbling down. I won't call it a failure, but I can't call it a success, either. Well, one step at a time. I was present for it, and that was enough.
Ruth, how true, that I have an opportunity to give this wonderful gift to myself and my unborn child.
Beth, thank you. I am sorry you and Mary are struggling right now, and wish the best for both of you.
If that's not a success, Moira, then I don't know what is! Seriously. That's heavy-duty "training the mind" and it's every bit as valuable as the blissful sits. Probably more so.
{{{Moira}}}
Just sat a few minutes last night, but a longer sit this morning. (I don't trust myself to sit later in the day on Saturdays!)
Dukjuky, isn't that what they called cured duck-meat in New Jersey?
Beth, I do think it's hard to feel not as strong as one is accustomed to -- it is for me, anyway. Moira, I hope your nausea and pain will pass soon - how far along are you? And Mary and Jean, I hope you are each feeling better soon. ... Goodness! It's a good thing we have each other to commiserate, eh? My best to each of you.
Sat about 15 minutes this morning. Actually, I tried it in bed. I think I'll avoid that in future. ;-)
moose i tried to hear the dalai lama but didn't get it to work. will try again when back from HOLIDAY WEEKEND IN ITALY!!!
moira, I am really thinking about you. I was pregnant a few years back and we lost the baby through an ectopic pregnancy. However, the few weeks we were together I sat with it by the fire with my eyes closed evey day after my yoga practice and really tried to be still and present with it/listen to it. Like with any meditative practice, it felt like letting go. It was very powerful and I am absolutely sure that it helped me when the child decided to be elsewhere than with us. I felt we had really connected...
keep it up!
sat for 15 yesterday and had a very profound experience after having read the first chapters of the Wallace book on happiness (the other is out of print, dale). I have often meditated with the image of sitting by the tide, so I extended this to being in the water as he suggests, and then took a deep breath and went under, watching all the activity on the surface and just being in the still depths. amazing and beautiful. funnily enough i always felt that state to be 'above rather than below the busy mind so at first it was a little challenging! thanks for that dale.
I am off to Italy with my beloved today for a weekend of pesto on the Ligurian coast. I may or may not meditate, but I'll certainly be back. Love to you all.xxx
7 Comments:
Mary - checked at your blog - I'm glad you're feeling a little better, and that you felt you could open up and write here. Coping with illness is really hard for me, because I tend to get scared and then beat myself up for not being strong enough not to be frightened of the unknown and the future, when actually it is a pretty natural reaction. And meditation does help with this; it just makes everything lighten up and seem less serious. You have a lot of empathy from me! And I'm feeling better today too.
I attempted to meditate late last night and was washed with waves of nausea, back pain, and a closetful of distressed thoughts all tumbling down. I won't call it a failure, but I can't call it a success, either. Well, one step at a time. I was present for it, and that was enough.
Ruth, how true, that I have an opportunity to give this wonderful gift to myself and my unborn child.
Beth, thank you. I am sorry you and Mary are struggling right now, and wish the best for both of you.
Beth: Thank you very much for your understanding. I am so glad you are feeling better.
Moira: Being present for all that is no mean achievement. One step at a time indeed. [[Moira]]
I sat this morning for about 15 mins - again it was a relief to do so.
Back to word verification:
dukjuky ;-)
If that's not a success, Moira, then I don't know what is! Seriously. That's heavy-duty "training the mind" and it's every bit as valuable as the blissful sits. Probably more so.
{{{Moira}}}
Just sat a few minutes last night, but a longer sit this morning. (I don't trust myself to sit later in the day on Saturdays!)
Dukjuky, isn't that what they called cured duck-meat in New Jersey?
I was so moved by your comments that I got confused and have put today's comment under yesterday. Love to all of you.
Beth, I do think it's hard to feel not as strong as one is accustomed to -- it is for me, anyway. Moira, I hope your nausea and pain will pass soon - how far along are you? And Mary and Jean, I hope you are each feeling better soon. ... Goodness! It's a good thing we have each other to commiserate, eh? My best to each of you.
Sat about 15 minutes this morning. Actually, I tried it in bed. I think I'll avoid that in future.
;-)
Did anyone hook up to hear the Dalai Lama?
moose i tried to hear the dalai lama but didn't get it to work. will try again when back from HOLIDAY WEEKEND IN ITALY!!!
moira, I am really thinking about you. I was pregnant a few years back and we lost the baby through an ectopic pregnancy. However, the few weeks we were together I sat with it by the fire with my eyes closed evey day after my yoga practice and really tried to be still and present with it/listen to it. Like with any meditative practice, it felt like letting go. It was very powerful and I am absolutely sure that it helped me when the child decided to be elsewhere than with us. I felt we had really connected...
keep it up!
sat for 15 yesterday and had a very profound experience after having read the first chapters of the Wallace book on happiness (the other is out of print, dale). I have often meditated with the image of sitting by the tide, so I extended this to being in the water as he suggests, and then took a deep breath and went under, watching all the activity on the surface and just being in the still depths. amazing and beautiful. funnily enough i always felt that state to be 'above rather than below the busy mind so at first it was a little challenging! thanks for that dale.
I am off to Italy with my beloved today for a weekend of pesto on the Ligurian coast. I may or may not meditate, but I'll certainly be back. Love to you all.xxx
Post a Comment
<< Home