Good morning, everybody (well, OK, it's nearly lunchtime. Details.)
I'm still thinking about Jean's retreat, and I have to say that the idea sounds better every day. I shall have to look into this at some time, in some way.
Retreats are wonderful, wonderful. And there is at least one Tibetan Buddhist monastery in the French Alps (though any resemblance is purely coincidental etc). But I would start with a few days, not three months. Even a few days of silence and lots of sitting takes some getting used to if you've only sat for short periods. I only IMAGINE I would be full of joy on a three month retreat :-) Maybe I'd go nuts after a couple of weeks (which is the most I've ever done). Of course, going nuts is part of it too - being with your own mind, however that is.
7 Comments:
Good morning, everybody (well, OK, it's nearly lunchtime. Details.)
I'm still thinking about Jean's retreat, and I have to say that the idea sounds better every day. I shall have to look into this at some time, in some way.
Hugs and best wishes to all.
Retreats are wonderful, wonderful. And there is at least one Tibetan Buddhist monastery in the French Alps (though any resemblance is purely coincidental etc). But I would start with a few days, not three months. Even a few days of silence and lots of sitting takes some getting used to if you've only sat for short periods. I only IMAGINE I would be full of joy on a three month retreat :-) Maybe I'd go nuts after a couple of weeks (which is the most I've ever done). Of course, going nuts is part of it too - being with your own mind, however that is.
Oh, yes, I'd thought of a weekend actually! I don't think I could stand three solid months of anything.
BTW we shall have to ask Dale to edit the front-page settings, as I too cannot change them.
A friend of mine is at that monastery, just finishing up a three-year retreat -- the traditional training for a lama. I wonder how she's doing?
Yeah, try a weekend first, though :-)
Hmm, I changed the archiving to monthly and republished, but maybe it's not retroactive? Nothing looks different to me.
I just found this blog yesterday- where have I been??? LOL
I am dedicating a minimum of 20 minutes each day for the next 100 days (at least) to sitting zazen.
Thank you so much!!!
Welcome Jeannie! Yes, this is a wonderful place.
And hello to all silent readers of 100 Days. I was one of you for a year, until I got up the nerve to say something. Blessings to you all!
Post a Comment
<< Home