Friday, April 21, 2006

Day Seven

-7-

6 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

Does anyone know about the theory of nostril dominance and whether there is any scientific validity to it?

My naturopath yoga teacher, Sat Dharam, said that one nostril is dominant usually for about 2 hours, there is a 20 minute or so switch over, and then the other nostril is dominant for a few hours. Left and right hemispheres, sympathetic and para-sympathetic nervous systems oscillate with balance back and forth. The inbetween time is commemorated in the 'coffee break,' a good time, she said, to take a break, nap, walk, do something different, or meditate. If I can, over the years that's when I've meditated, when I feel that subtle shift.

Our exercise that week was to check our nostril dominance with a mirror every hour to two until we could just tell what was dominating. Some people had an almost exclusive right nostril/left hemisphere dominance, meaning anxiety, stress, an immune system working overtime, a system ravaging itself. They needed to flick the switch over, and we were taught techniques to do that- lying down on your right ear will cause the left nostril to kick in, for instance.

Just curious if anyone else knows about these strange and wild breathins...?

6:42 PM  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

haha: breathings?

6:45 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Good evening. Just checking in ... sat this morning - a little agitated but managed to stay with it.

Jude: I keep the kettle boiling on quite a few days too ...

Brenda: I have heard of nostril dominance - my yoga teacher has talked about it and we practice alternate nostril breathing in class - but that's all I'm afraid. I'm fascinated by the exercises you describe ...

7:49 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

hi ditto mary on nostril dancing.
I am keeping it up, just, on tour and with the house being renovated. I miss the odd day but feel the differnce and love you guys too so I miss it if I don't sit for a day. I do find before a performance, just contacting the breath in this noew way gets me to channel the music more and get past my ego. I'm loving playing and life is marvellous...could any of this be connected?

9:36 PM  
Blogger Udge said...

Brenda, I should definitely try that because I am about 99.7% right-nostrilled. (I have a deviated septum, which may account for it.) I woke up one morning some weeks ago breathing through my left nostril, and found it very unusual, almost disturbing.

10:14 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Nostril dancing! *snort!*

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home