Friday, December 29, 2006

Day Fifty-Three

-53-

3 Comments:

Blogger Stray said...

isn't today day 54? I think we skipped thursday!

anyway ... the universe obviously wants me to meditate. I got lost finding my way back to my car from a 12 step meeting in Glasgow ... and stumbled upon first the Buddhist Center then the Quaker Meeting House. lol.

My world is so weird at the moment. Yesterday my dad went and found his father, who he hasn't seen since he was a tiny child. He expected he would be dead, but there he was, 88 years old, calm and quiet, with no living blood relatives and shocked but pleased to meet his son.

The oddest thing is that my dad got this notion to finally look him up again - after a failed attempt almost 30 years ago - out of the blue, a few weeks back. At approximately the same time, his father was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. He has decided not to have treatment, so it's going to be weeks or months rather than years.

My dad found out he has a step-sister. He has her phone number ... and a lot of questions! Apparently his father had recently told her that he secretly had another son, so she knows about my dad.

Very odd. Not sure what to say to my dad about it all, he's pretty overwhelmed by the whole experience.

Midst all the chaos of family stuff, I am having such a strong sense of belonging to the place where I am now. In my interactions with people here. In the familiarity of rough-cast council houses and corner shops. Glass bottles of Irn Bru (a scottish version of coke that is bright orange and full of sugar and caffeine and used to fuel a whole generation of children with ADHD). Pan loaves. The countryside on the door step. The frozen rain and biting wind. It all feels right.

Love and cuddles to all,

Sx

ps - I saw a red sofa upside down in the street just now ... and wanted to take a photo in hommage to Lorianne's work on that theme :)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Lorianne said...

lol...actually, I was thinking that an abandoned, upside-down sofa is kind of a fitting metaphor for the familial chaos you've been facing! I hope you are staying right side up, mostly. :-)

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello to everyone here as the year edges out. I feel that we're sort of discombobulated on this group site these days, and that it reflects the way everything seems. I know I don't feel especially solid or as if there is a clear sense of direction in my life right now - I am simply trying to get done what has to get done, with as much grace as I can. Many many changes for a lot of us. I think of Stray's father - incredible! However, it's easy to wish everyone a good New Year and peace - and I do!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home