Jude, good to hear from you. I hope you're poor ears will start recovering soon - it sounds unpleasant.
I agree with doing group sit both on Friday and again on Monday as the 100th day - may not manage 2 pm on Monday, depending on what's happening at work, but I will try. Dale, thanks for doing the calculations.
No strong feelings about going straight into the next 100 days or having a pause first. Passing thought that we might make 15h April, the Christian Easter Day (rebirth), our next Day 1 ... or is that very crass?
Thoughts on the bus this morning: As we approach the end of second 100 days, I realise this - almost every day for 200 days, more than 6 months - is the most sustained period of meditation practice I have ever done. I'm tremendously grateful for it. There is a space where there was not. A space I can take a deep sighing breath and drop into, instaed of precipitately over-reacting to everything. I feel strongly motivated to continue practicing, keep knowing this blessed space. And yet, equally, simultaneously, I don't feel any 'better', or changed, or less hopeless - perhaps the opposite, because the limpid pool of this space reflects myself in all my horrendous, dreadful, way-beyond-depressing, fucked-up-ness. And I sense that I will only see myself ever more clearly, and be more dismayed; that it makes no sense to aspire to change, indeed this is about the opposite of that. The only aspiration (and it isn't really that, either, but if I insist in looking at it in these terms) can be towards giving up change as an aim and extending a nervous finger towards embracing myself as I am, and therefore others, and therefore everything. Often, mostly, this is the last thing I can bear the idea of doing. So the thing is not to think about it, just keep practicing. Thinking breeds too much, too miserable, return to "I". Hmm.
After I wrote the above I read Dale's blog post from yesterday, where he beautifully describes the space I'm talking about: 'the space between the ripening of karma and our reaction to it'.
Thanks, Jean, for that comment. I strikes me that we don't ever "get rid of" our karma--it's always there, like a birthright. But we can learn how to live with it, manage it, and even befriend it. I guess that's what Zennies mean when we say "Your greatest karma is your greatest dharma." Whatever "bad" mind-habit you struggle with (in my case, perhaps, stubbornness), it can become something very powerful (e.g. perseverance) if you befriend & tame it rather than running away.
That's why the most fucked-up people make the strongest saints: their karma is hugely powerful, so once they channel it, watch out! :-)
I'm still here even though I haven't been commenting (or sitting!) much. I'm "mostly" better from being sick, although I still have a sinus infection & my voice is *still* "throaty." And I've been distracted with busy-ness/business: the usual teaching chores, doing taxes, researching to buy a new car, etc.
I too prefer having one rather than two group sits...and there's a chance I can do Friday, and no hope I can do Monday. :-)
And I like the idea of starting the next 100-day round on April 15th, not only because it's Easter but because here in the US it's Tax Day, an otherwise innocuous April day that deserves some positive associations.
I just saw the times for the First Friday & 100-Day synchro-sits, and I *can* do Monday. (I'd assumed the Monday times would be the same as the Friday...)
So maybe offering an option of sitting both/either? Really, I can be flexible either way, so y'all decide...
And welcome back, Jude: I hope you're back to hearing (and healing!) again soon!
I am notorious at work as an otherwise efficient and precise person who can never manage to get the date/day of the week right, and I've done it again - Easter Sunday is 16th of course! But I like the thought of celebrating US tax day too!
Jude, hope those ears are settling down a bit! Ringing, clogged ears, ah, no fun, and a little dizzying...
Udge, oh, you are a meditation, I love reading your comments.
Welcome back, sweet MB! You were missed! Glad you had such a great time... and are all socialized out for a brief moment. :)
Jean, while I am a daily meditator, I have found the rigor of my meditation changing. From my mantra, to the loving-kindness one, to sometimes just sitting breathing for 15 minutes... and I have everyone to thank for that. The latter so far the most blessed. It's a blessed relief to just sit, and breath, and not think, and, so far, not a struggle. My repertoire had widened...
And two group meditation sittings are good. Is it likely I will be up at 2am Thurs night/Fri morning? Unless I somehow do some mighty lucid dreaming... I mean, guys, I'll try-:). If you see my astral self wafting about, you'll know I managed it! Monday morning, if I'm not working, is a much more lucid choice. So thanks Dale!
Oh, a sweet convergence tomorrow, human-time wise, not part of the universe's cycles, but still nice:
This Wednesday at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning the time and date will be
Just checking in to say I’m still here, still sitting … not much talking/commenting, but I read the posts every day or so … look forward to being with you all for the first Friday (Thursday for me) and One Hundred Day group sits.
I may need a wee nap before the 11 pm sit so I don’t fall asleep on the cushion. I’ve seen that happen before during a long sesshin … one guy would just tilt slightly, snore a bit and startle himself awake with a snort. One of the monks just fell right over and plopped onto the wall in front, kerbang. It was very hard to keep from laughing out loud, and I almost choked myself with fake coughing.
I want to thank whoever it was who first suggested the 10-minute sit … Dale maybe, but many of you have spoken of it since then. Since the knee thing had often kept me from sitting at all, it’s been a great comfort to allow myself just 10 minutes. And, by the way, the knee problem is improving rapidly … with exercises to strengthen the muscles that surround and support the knee joint plus the shedding of a few extra pounds.
9 Comments:
Good morning!
Jude, good to hear from you. I hope you're poor ears will start recovering soon - it sounds unpleasant.
I agree with doing group sit both on Friday and again on Monday as the 100th day - may not manage 2 pm on Monday, depending on what's happening at work, but I will try.
Dale, thanks for doing the calculations.
No strong feelings about going straight into the next 100 days or having a pause first. Passing thought that we might make 15h April, the Christian Easter Day (rebirth), our next Day 1 ... or is that very crass?
Thoughts on the bus this morning:
As we approach the end of second 100 days, I realise this - almost every day for 200 days, more than 6 months - is the most sustained period of meditation practice I have ever done. I'm tremendously grateful for it. There is a space where there was not. A space I can take a deep sighing breath and drop into, instaed of precipitately over-reacting to everything. I feel strongly motivated to continue practicing, keep knowing this blessed space. And yet, equally, simultaneously, I don't feel any 'better', or changed, or less hopeless - perhaps the opposite, because the limpid pool of this space reflects myself in all my horrendous, dreadful, way-beyond-depressing, fucked-up-ness. And I sense that I will only see myself ever more clearly, and be more dismayed; that it makes no sense to aspire to change, indeed this is about the opposite of that. The only aspiration (and it isn't really that, either, but if I insist in looking at it in these terms) can be towards giving up change as an aim and extending a nervous finger towards embracing myself as I am, and therefore others, and therefore everything. Often, mostly, this is the last thing I can bear the idea of doing. So the thing is not to think about it, just keep practicing. Thinking breeds too much, too miserable, return to "I". Hmm.
After I wrote the above I read Dale's blog post from yesterday, where he beautifully describes the space I'm talking about: 'the space between the ripening of karma and our reaction to it'.
Thanks, Jean, for that comment. I strikes me that we don't ever "get rid of" our karma--it's always there, like a birthright. But we can learn how to live with it, manage it, and even befriend it. I guess that's what Zennies mean when we say "Your greatest karma is your greatest dharma." Whatever "bad" mind-habit you struggle with (in my case, perhaps, stubbornness), it can become something very powerful (e.g. perseverance) if you befriend & tame it rather than running away.
That's why the most fucked-up people make the strongest saints: their karma is hugely powerful, so once they channel it, watch out! :-)
I'm still here even though I haven't been commenting (or sitting!) much. I'm "mostly" better from being sick, although I still have a sinus infection & my voice is *still* "throaty." And I've been distracted with busy-ness/business: the usual teaching chores, doing taxes, researching to buy a new car, etc.
I too prefer having one rather than two group sits...and there's a chance I can do Friday, and no hope I can do Monday. :-)
And I like the idea of starting the next 100-day round on April 15th, not only because it's Easter but because here in the US it's Tax Day, an otherwise innocuous April day that deserves some positive associations.
PS...
I just saw the times for the First Friday & 100-Day synchro-sits, and I *can* do Monday. (I'd assumed the Monday times would be the same as the Friday...)
So maybe offering an option of sitting both/either? Really, I can be flexible either way, so y'all decide...
And welcome back, Jude: I hope you're back to hearing (and healing!) again soon!
I am notorious at work as an otherwise efficient and precise person who can never manage to get the date/day of the week right, and I've done it again - Easter Sunday is 16th of course! But I like the thought of celebrating US tax day too!
Jude, hope those ears are settling down a bit! Ringing, clogged ears, ah, no fun, and a little dizzying...
Udge, oh, you are a meditation, I love reading your comments.
Welcome back, sweet MB! You were missed! Glad you had such a great time... and are all socialized out for a brief moment. :)
Jean, while I am a daily meditator, I have found the rigor of my meditation changing. From my mantra, to the loving-kindness one, to sometimes just sitting breathing for 15 minutes... and I have everyone to thank for that. The latter so far the most blessed. It's a blessed relief to just sit, and breath, and not think, and, so far, not a struggle. My repertoire had widened...
And two group meditation sittings are good. Is it likely I will be up at 2am Thurs night/Fri morning? Unless I somehow do some mighty lucid dreaming... I mean, guys, I'll try-:). If you see my astral self wafting about, you'll know I managed it! Monday morning, if I'm not working, is a much more lucid choice. So thanks Dale!
Oh, a sweet convergence tomorrow, human-time wise, not part of the universe's cycles, but still nice:
This Wednesday at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning the time and date will be
01: 02: 03 04/05/06 (1-2-3-4-5-6 )
That won't ever happen again.
But Brenda, a Zennie would be quick to note that *any* moment, no matter how it is numbered, will never happen again. ;-)
Actually, someone just pointed out to me that while it won't happen again for *us*, it will happen again in just 100 years.
Just checking in to say I’m still here, still sitting … not much talking/commenting, but I read the posts every day or so … look forward to being with you all for the first Friday (Thursday for me) and One Hundred Day group sits.
I may need a wee nap before the 11 pm sit so I don’t fall asleep on the cushion. I’ve seen that happen before during a long sesshin … one guy would just tilt slightly, snore a bit and startle himself awake with a snort. One of the monks just fell right over and plopped onto the wall in front, kerbang. It was very hard to keep from laughing out loud, and I almost choked myself with fake coughing.
I want to thank whoever it was who first suggested the 10-minute sit … Dale maybe, but many of you have spoken of it since then. Since the knee thing had often kept me from sitting at all, it’s been a great comfort to allow myself just 10 minutes. And, by the way, the knee problem is improving rapidly … with exercises to strengthen the muscles that surround and support the knee joint plus the shedding of a few extra pounds.
Post a Comment
<< Home