Monday, January 16, 2006

day sixteen

-16-

13 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

So, yesterday I read the instruction book for the fancy digital alarm/radio that I bought months ago duty-free on a plane and never unpacked, and set it up, and it woke me gently at 6.30 this morning, and I got up and sat for 20 minutes, and had plenty of time to walk a couple of miles of the journey to walk, and look around me at the moving shapes in the grey misty morning. And arrived at the office standing upright, not already burdened down by rushing and guilt and weariness, as on so many Monday mornings. And every day is another day - but I'm hoping for a few more like today, slowly, slowly...

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

'journey to work', that was...

9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do let us know what it is when you get to that bit, Jude ;)

Can empathise Jude - my alarm was set to give myself space for some extra writing before work this morning, but I sabotaged myself at 3.30 this mornign when I woke up and couldn't bear the thought of it and reached out to change my alarm clock... I try to arrange most of my days to start a bit later on to accomadate these morning rituals, one of the benefits of being a freelancer.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PS Nicole what excellent taste you have in music! Are you blogless? Or do you just write a private one?

2:14 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

evening all.

did a guided meditation at the end of the 2 hour yoga class. had to grapple with someone else controlling the imagery. och dear. spent much of the first half of the class being angry that the venue was not stated on the leaflet.... But NOT all of the class!! Hooray!

i like 'journey to walk', and how it found a place to be heard here!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Lorianne said...

Good day, everyone!

I sat for 20 minutes after lunch, which felt like a gift since today's my last "free day" before classes resume, so I have a long to-do list. But at least I can cross "meditate" off today's list. ;-)

I haven't done bows today or yesterday, for that matter, so that's still an ongoing goal.

But in other news: progress. Today's lunch was part of the tasty leftovers from last night's cooking, which was inspired by everyone's talk of Zen cookery. It takes (relatively) little effort to cook something healthy that will provide quick leftovers the rest of the week (and I don't mind leftovers if the food is good.)

So I guess another new goal is "cook more, as if cooking for someone I love." Because cooking for *myself* should qualify, shouldn't it? ;-)

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Jean … and thanks for telling us about your early morning sitting and walking. I’m going to try to follow your lead.

I’d like to establish a more regular time for meditation, and early morning seems the best. Problem here is my caffeine addiction … with the morning coffee, I just habitually turn on the morning newscast, and it all slides downhill from there. The day progresses, and I end up sitting late at night ,,, or not.

You know the old cliché about ‘the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak’. Forgive me for this small anecdote. I was teaching computer science at a local college a few years ago. We discussed voice recognition technology and its uses for language translation and the many problems with it. The example I used was that spirit/flesh thing … translated English to Russian and then back from Russian to English. It came back as ‘the wine is excellent, but the meat is spoiled’

6:16 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

lorraine, i cook much more 'zen' when i cook for myself. I really get in touch with what I need nutritionally and what pleases me. It is usually very simple; rice and lentils or a soup or salad...of course when I cook such things at home they are curiously appreciated. I wonder why! That is why I am lunch queen! I particularly love it in the spring when I pod broad beans and peas outside in the sunshine.... mmmmmmm.

janice, we happily share your caffeine addiction and that is one of the reasons I sit later in the day. In the morning we always make fresh juice and then (after 30 pmins° coffee in our lovely gaggia hand-pull machine (a meditation in itself) whilst listening to raio 4. If I am on tour and have to sit in the morning I always have coffee first (and bring my own esspresso maker) otherwise it feels like going back to bed.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jude, I am with you! I love coffee too and can't drink it - I gave up caffeine about 15 years ago but kept on drinking some decaf, now I only drink herbal tea and it is a hard adjustment, especially in this city brimming with wonderful cafés! But at least I can meditate anytime of the day! ;)

11:16 PM  
Blogger leslee said...

I sat not quite 10 minutes this afternoon, after a walk. Terminally cranky today. However, it gives me a soothing joy to see you all here.

11:19 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Another terminally cranky one right here. So glad you are all out there, shifting the balance of energies. I'll sit shortly. Need to repair my commitment after missing a few days. Cause or effect, effect or cause... clear relationship, regardless.

Thank you for being here.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Well, now my face is red about the html advice I gave you, Janice! I was assuming you didn't know much about programming. I'm a rank & file programmer for a vast multi-national corporation.

The teacher at my center always encourages people to meditate first thing in the morning, "before the world gets ahold of you."

I'll be showing up tomorrow to do more commitment repairs :-) Today I finished the project that's nearly had me quitting for the past nine months, and -- unless it blows up in my face, which they sometimes do -- I won't be so exhausted and woebegone now.

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home