Good morning. Sending warm feelings to all of you, especially those with particular pains and worries just now. Sat for 20 minutes yesterday evening, and again for 30 first thing this morning. Sitting when I got home at the end of a rather hard working week was good, dissolved so many feelings of tension and scattering and self-blame.
I MADE my song a coat Covered with embroideries Out of old mythologies From heel to throat; But the fools caught it, Wore it in the world's eyes As though they'd wrought it. Song, let them take it, For there's more enterprise In walking naked.
by William Butler Yeats
------------------- This poem reminded me of here/my meditation space :)
PS Dale - yes sounds like you exhausted the possibilites of Fridays! Hope all are well.
glad you were able to dissolve the work tension jean. brava.
how lovely to have the zen food preparation element yesterday, remembering mindfulness of how we 'feed' ourselves: taking from the earth to provide fuel. Funnily enough I had a very lovely moment slicing into a pumpkin which had been a gift and became a christmas decoration and yesterday morphed into spicy soup; a simple and sensuous man -meets- nature, texture, smell, colour, and finally taste -the promise of a hearty meal!
another peaceful 20 mins in the vines. Oscar has taken to meeting me from my run and accompanying me to my chair to be with me while I sit. Began to hear my own breath simply along with all the other sounds - of birdsong, oscar rubbing up against the vines - and there were a couple of moments where it did not feel separate but rather just one of the millions of sounds of mother nature breathing.
Did 27 bows & sat earlier this morning, after having not done bows yesterday. (Each day is a new start, I remind myself.)
Jean, I'm glad to hear you're experiencing some "settling" with your work-tension. And thanks Fiona, for the Yeats poem: it's one I'd never encountered, a new treasure.
Recently a friend said something about the effect his art has. He’s a graphic artist. He sketches everyday things, and he said, “it helps me to see the beauty in people and things, to cherish what I have, to reach out to others, to favor creation over destruction, to find peace and feel more alive.”
It struck me that this is the same that happens with meditation. While there’s no goal as such (we just sit because we sit), this total ‘mindfulness’ lets us see our true self.
Today I’m going to be totally mindful while chopping carrots.
Am I being too confident, or has the intensity of my current meditation on "massive healing" between self/world and my creativity, finances, academic work and mothering been having an affect?
At 51 I made a drastic change in my career, moving from theory to praxis, from the possiblity of being an academic to being an artist.
I just read an email, and I may have sold my latest drawing! I had 2 people interested in it today, said $200., and the older retired professor says he needs only to clear it with his wife, who's currently away, and then he'll buy it! I priced it at the hourly rate I get for temp clerical work. Which I thought fair, since I don't have a gallery, or a client base, or a name of any kind. I'm really quite surprised and this is good news indeed. It means, essentially, that a new career as an artist may be beginning to open up, and I've been pushing my energy in this direction for about 2 years now. So I am hoping this beautiful man is the first of many prospective owners of my work.... Whoopeee!! Gotta walk the dog now, or should I say "spring out happily in the cold and dance around the park"!!!! Celebrate with me!
Oh, it's at my blog, the one with the 3 women dancing, disappearing into each other...
(even if it hasn't exactly happened yet, though I do feel since he was one of 2 people to email me & enter into negotiations, that someone will purchase it. whew- we're at rock bottom here, too)
Perhaps all the meditation has done is open me to possiblity, and then to actuality. I hope so.
I've been working hard on this at great, intense and sometimes painful depth.
Wonderful news Brenda - whatever happens with this particular painting it sounds like you're really starting to attract interest and as you say I'm sure it's just the beginning!
Hope you enjoyed your carrot chopping Janice, lovely image.
7 Comments:
Good morning. Sending warm feelings to all of you, especially those with particular pains and worries just now. Sat for 20 minutes yesterday evening, and again for 30 first thing this morning. Sitting when I got home at the end of a rather hard working week was good, dissolved so many feelings of tension and scattering and self-blame.
A Coat
I MADE my song a coat
Covered with embroideries
Out of old mythologies
From heel to throat;
But the fools caught it,
Wore it in the world's eyes
As though they'd wrought it.
Song, let them take it,
For there's more enterprise
In walking naked.
by William Butler Yeats
-------------------
This poem reminded me of here/my meditation space :)
PS Dale - yes sounds like you exhausted the possibilites of Fridays!
Hope all are well.
thank you for your poem fiona!
glad you were able to dissolve the work tension jean. brava.
how lovely to have the zen food preparation element yesterday, remembering mindfulness of how we 'feed' ourselves: taking from the earth to provide fuel. Funnily enough I had a very lovely moment slicing into a pumpkin which had been a gift and became a christmas decoration and yesterday morphed into spicy soup; a simple and sensuous man -meets- nature, texture, smell, colour, and finally taste -the promise of a hearty meal!
another peaceful 20 mins in the vines. Oscar has taken to meeting me from my run and accompanying me to my chair to be with me while I sit. Began to hear my own breath simply along with all the other sounds - of birdsong, oscar rubbing up against the vines - and there were a couple of moments where it did not feel separate but rather just one of the millions of sounds of mother nature breathing.
Did 27 bows & sat earlier this morning, after having not done bows yesterday. (Each day is a new start, I remind myself.)
Jean, I'm glad to hear you're experiencing some "settling" with your work-tension. And thanks Fiona, for the Yeats poem: it's one I'd never encountered, a new treasure.
Recently a friend said something about the effect his art has. He’s a graphic artist. He sketches everyday things, and he said, “it helps me to see the beauty in people and things, to cherish what I have, to reach out to others, to favor creation over destruction, to find peace and feel more alive.”
It struck me that this is the same that happens with meditation. While there’s no goal as such (we just sit because we sit), this total ‘mindfulness’ lets us see our true self.
Today I’m going to be totally mindful while chopping carrots.
Am I being too confident, or has the intensity of my current meditation on "massive healing" between self/world and my creativity, finances, academic work and mothering been having an affect?
At 51 I made a drastic change in my career, moving from theory to praxis, from the possiblity of being an academic to being an artist.
I just read an email, and I may have sold my latest drawing! I had 2 people interested in it today, said $200., and the older retired professor says he needs only to clear it with his wife, who's currently away, and then he'll buy it! I priced it at the hourly rate I get for temp clerical work. Which I thought fair, since I don't have a gallery, or a client base, or a name of any kind. I'm really quite surprised and this is good news indeed. It means, essentially, that a new career as an artist may be beginning to open up, and I've been pushing my energy in this direction for about 2 years now. So I am hoping this beautiful man is the first of many prospective owners of my work.... Whoopeee!! Gotta walk the dog now, or should I say "spring out happily in the cold and dance around the park"!!!! Celebrate with me!
Oh, it's at my blog, the one with the 3 women dancing, disappearing into each other...
(even if it hasn't exactly happened yet, though I do feel since he was one of 2 people to email me & enter into negotiations, that someone will purchase it. whew- we're at rock bottom here, too)
Perhaps all the meditation has done is open me to possiblity, and then to actuality. I hope so.
I've been working hard on this at great, intense and sometimes painful depth.
blessings all around... xo
Wonderful news Brenda - whatever happens with this particular painting it sounds like you're really starting to attract interest and as you say I'm sure it's just the beginning!
Hope you enjoyed your carrot chopping Janice, lovely image.
Post a Comment
<< Home