Re discussion a couple of days ago about in-the-flesh (and in-the-spirit) meditation groups: is there some kind of power in this blog? or in saying something out loud? I was bemoaning the lack of a weekly Gaia House meditation group in London. I just found out that the people who organise monthly visits for Gaia House teachers to London have also organised a 6 week series of weekly meetings/classes early next year. I'm signing up.
Jean - that's great :) I'm sure it's some sort of serendipity. I have a kind of theory about the power of speaking / writing out loud our hopes and dreams, no matter how unrealistic they may appear, because I think it tunes our radar to opportunities that may otherwise pass us by.
Beth, I've thought of you and your family a lot today. I really hope that you can find some space for your own feelings midst your care for others. It would be easy to get lost in looking after ... I'm glad that meditation is offering you somewhere to allow those feelings to be acknowledged. It must be very hard.
I can relate a little, as this is my first christmas since my partner left me. It will also be our first christmas back with our extended family in Scotland since my mother's mother died a decade ago. We are doing a lot of readjusting as a family at the moment, and my dad has decided to seek out his estranged birth-father whilst we are up there. They have only spoken once in 50 years, and that was nearly 30 years ago. We know he was still alive six years ago, but the contacts we had have since passed on. He would be 86, so there is more probability that we will be visiting a grave than a live person.
I feel a weird sadness that I have never met my (genetic) grandfather and may now have missed the opportunity. My step-grandfather is suddenly frail and losing clarity with alarming acceleration. We hope he might see one more year out, but it seems unlikely.
The family friend who died in september was a regular feature in our christmases. I miss her presence already, but know that her own children must be experiencing an aching gap I can barely imagine. Lots of feelings about a lot of things, but also with an undercurrent of knowledge that these are bigger things for other people. My sadness doesn't feel entirely justified. I feel selfish when I give it space. I don't feel that the tears are mine to shed.
On the flip side, a good friend is expecting her first baby around new year's day. On monday I will meet another friend's six month old son for the first time. Regular visits to a friend's farm to help out with the piglets, baby goats and kittens that have made untimely arrivals due to the peculiar weather keep reminding me how unfathomably amazing the whole cycle is.
Today my dad showed up on my doorstep with the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen or played. He would like to buy me peace of mind, escape from my problems, a cure for all my physical and emotional aches and pains and some self-worth ... none of which can be purchased, even on Amazon. Instead, he and my mum have decided to buy me this beautiful instrument, in the hope that it might prove to be a tool I can use to whittle out some of the above for myself. So, my new year's resolution will be to do 100 days of guitar-meditation :) Of course I had to pack it away and give it back until christmas day!
Sorry this is so long ... but it's 3am here and I'm pumped full of pain killers and still a long way from sleeping. Just tuning in to the cat and dog breathing deeply and peacefully next to me. Hope you are all feeling connected and being gentle with yourselves, what ever you're doing right now.
5 Comments:
Re discussion a couple of days ago about in-the-flesh (and in-the-spirit) meditation groups: is there some kind of power in this blog? or in saying something out loud? I was bemoaning the lack of a weekly Gaia House meditation group in London. I just found out that the people who organise monthly visits for Gaia House teachers to London have also organised a 6 week series of weekly meetings/classes early next year. I'm signing up.
The power of positive thinking, or some such expression. What great luck.
Fantastic, Jean!
Jean, that's marvelous! I'm sure the power of this blog is radiating to all corners of the globe, causing goodness and mercy to prevail (!)
Beth, my thoughts are with you during this painful and poignant season.
Jean - that's great :) I'm sure it's some sort of serendipity. I have a kind of theory about the power of speaking / writing out loud our hopes and dreams, no matter how unrealistic they may appear, because I think it tunes our radar to opportunities that may otherwise pass us by.
Beth, I've thought of you and your family a lot today. I really hope that you can find some space for your own feelings midst your care for others. It would be easy to get lost in looking after ... I'm glad that meditation is offering you somewhere to allow those feelings to be acknowledged. It must be very hard.
I can relate a little, as this is my first christmas since my partner left me. It will also be our first christmas back with our extended family in Scotland since my mother's mother died a decade ago. We are doing a lot of readjusting as a family at the moment, and my dad has decided to seek out his estranged birth-father whilst we are up there. They have only spoken once in 50 years, and that was nearly 30 years ago. We know he was still alive six years ago, but the contacts we had have since passed on. He would be 86, so there is more probability that we will be visiting a grave than a live person.
I feel a weird sadness that I have never met my (genetic) grandfather and may now have missed the opportunity. My step-grandfather is suddenly frail and losing clarity with alarming acceleration. We hope he might see one more year out, but it seems unlikely.
The family friend who died in september was a regular feature in our christmases. I miss her presence already, but know that her own children must be experiencing an aching gap I can barely imagine. Lots of feelings about a lot of things, but also with an undercurrent of knowledge that these are bigger things for other people. My sadness doesn't feel entirely justified. I feel selfish when I give it space. I don't feel that the tears are mine to shed.
On the flip side, a good friend is expecting her first baby around new year's day. On monday I will meet another friend's six month old son for the first time. Regular visits to a friend's farm to help out with the piglets, baby goats and kittens that have made untimely arrivals due to the peculiar weather keep reminding me how unfathomably amazing the whole cycle is.
Today my dad showed up on my doorstep with the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen or played. He would like to buy me peace of mind, escape from my problems, a cure for all my physical and emotional aches and pains and some self-worth ... none of which can be purchased, even on Amazon. Instead, he and my mum have decided to buy me this beautiful instrument, in the hope that it might prove to be a tool I can use to whittle out some of the above for myself. So, my new year's resolution will be to do 100 days of guitar-meditation :) Of course I had to pack it away and give it back until christmas day!
Sorry this is so long ... but it's 3am here and I'm pumped full of pain killers and still a long way from sleeping. Just tuning in to the cat and dog breathing deeply and peacefully next to me. Hope you are all feeling connected and being gentle with yourselves, what ever you're doing right now.
Love and hugs xoxo
Post a Comment
<< Home