Just now I did a short, untimed sitting before now settling down to do some online grading. I did the same thing last night: a short, untimed sitting to "clear my head" before bed.
I'm liking these "mini meditations" throughout the day. Although I still haven't made time for a longer sitting session (which is this weekend's goal), it feels good to "check in" throughout the day.
I'm thinking my new meditation goal should be to sit like a proverbial Chicago voter: "early and often!" :-)
John, I don't think I've ever taken seriously the idea that I might get enlightened in this life. I have to work hard to picture it ever happening at all, even in the eons-upon-eons timescale of Buddhism.
I think it would be good both for me and for those around me if I could carry it as a serious possibility, but I don't have much luck doing so.
John: Yep, for the most part I've given up on any idea of "becoming" enlightened. In my tradition, Dogen Zenji says practice and enlightenment are one. That's hard to believe sometimes, but apparently he knew his shit. ;-)
Hi John What a very interesting question!! I would be very surprised if it happened this time around, but really, what do I know??
Just because I "think" it is impossible (which I do) doesn't mean that it actually is. :-)
Sat this morning for around 15 mins.
Would also like to add that in my lunch hour today I went into one of the oldest churches in London, built on the site of a pagan temple. And I think if I was ever to sit there in meditation for 20 minutes it would be doubtful that I would ever return to earth ... Very beautiful and powerful it was.
Hi everyone, its nice to see the group growing. Despite spotty presence, I have been consistent. I want to say what an encouragement it's been to have you all here. Dale, thank you so much for initiating and hosting this group!
John, I'm not certain what I think about enlightenment. I recognize that it is the most difficult thing I'll endeavor in this life. And while I feel so far from it, there are many stories of people transcending at the most unexpected moment. I guess I'm trying to say I wouldn't give up on it--your moment could come at any time.
6 Comments:
Just now I did a short, untimed sitting before now settling down to do some online grading. I did the same thing last night: a short, untimed sitting to "clear my head" before bed.
I'm liking these "mini meditations" throughout the day. Although I still haven't made time for a longer sitting session (which is this weekend's goal), it feels good to "check in" throughout the day.
I'm thinking my new meditation goal should be to sit like a proverbial Chicago voter: "early and often!" :-)
A long sit last night. Was nice.
John, I don't think I've ever taken seriously the idea that I might get enlightened in this life. I have to work hard to picture it ever happening at all, even in the eons-upon-eons timescale of Buddhism.
I think it would be good both for me and for those around me if I could carry it as a serious possibility, but I don't have much luck doing so.
John: Yep, for the most part I've given up on any idea of "becoming" enlightened. In my tradition, Dogen Zenji says practice and enlightenment are one. That's hard to believe sometimes, but apparently he knew his shit. ;-)
Hi John
What a very interesting question!! I would be very surprised if it happened this time around, but really, what do I know??
Just because I "think" it is impossible (which I do) doesn't mean that it actually is. :-)
Sat this morning for around 15 mins.
Would also like to add that in my lunch hour today I went into one of the oldest churches in London, built on the site of a pagan temple. And I think if I was ever to sit there in meditation for 20 minutes it would be doubtful that I would ever return to earth ... Very beautiful and powerful it was.
Hi everyone, its nice to see the group growing. Despite spotty presence, I have been consistent. I want to say what an encouragement it's been to have you all here. Dale, thank you so much for initiating and hosting this group!
John, I'm not certain what I think about enlightenment. I recognize that it is the most difficult thing I'll endeavor in this life. And while I feel so far from it, there are many stories of people transcending at the most unexpected moment. I guess I'm trying to say I wouldn't give up on it--your moment could come at any time.
Thanks Aki! I don't really feel like I founded it, though. I just post the numbers. It's being founded by the people who comment here.
Post a Comment
<< Home